Sunday 16 February 2014

Managing tone

Although the exercise required adjustment to RAW and JPEG, my NX2 software (the one I use most often) does nothing in JPEG worth doing.  I also don't shoot in JPEG, only RAW.  I only shoot JPEG when I think I may want to upload on the go e.g. to Facebook, and not do any processing at all.  So for this exercise, I proceeded with Raw instructions.

Image requiring adjustment - this is a very flat image (despite the subject matter) (taken in Iceland on 2 January 2014 of Snæfellsjökull).  I completed the exercise using Nikon Capture referring to the Nikon Support website as I haven't learnt how to use this yet!


Original image

Set Black point successful:


Set White point (not successful - snow too close in colour to the sky):


So I reversed this and adjusted the white using the quick fix curve (tone curve):


I then adjusted the curve a little more to create more brightness:


What I needed now was brighter snow, without making the sky too bright, and more apricot in the sky.  I managed to adjust the colour hue in the sky using the colour sliders, but it didn't look right:


So I reverted to my previous version, clicked Auto levels, and then added back some red:


And saved as a JPEG

No comments:

Post a Comment