Sunday 16 February 2014

Raw

The exercise required processing pairs of images, both JPEG and RAW taken in the following conditions:

  • Daylight
  • Artificial
  • High dynamic range (presume they mean high contrast - not three blended images)
I mostly use NX2 for basic processing, and then if I want to do anything funky, I save a JPEG and then work in Elements (to a limited extent).  I also have Nikon Capture, but I don't know how to use it yet.  I have been meaning to learn for 2 years, I don't find the processing part very interesting and I only want to make basic corrections.

Daylight

Originals taken at Highgate Cemetery on 9 February 2014:

One thing I noticed, that I hadn't appreciated before, the RAW photo had better contrast than the JPEG.  Is this because of the compression?

JPEG

RAW
This pair of images are quite dull, with a dark feature.  The exposure though is bang on at one stop under.  The images lack colour and vibrancy, although you could argue that this is befitting for a gravestone picture, but I think Malcom Mclaren would want something more lively!

I began by processing the JPEG.  The white balance was set in camera to Auto, and the picture control to Standard, so I was stuck with those options.  All I could do was to enhance contrast a little bit and increase colour saturation slightly to bring out the green.

JPEG processed
I then processed the RAW file.  I started by working through the white balance - but it was quite obvious that the auto setting was the best one.  I changed the picture control to Landscape, which made the grass greener and the tombstone bluer, and increased the contrast slightly.

RAW processed

I then had a look in Elements to see what I could do with the image.  The first job was to clear up the graffiti above the top right M using the spot healing tool.  I then applied "autofix" on the lighten and darken and the brightness and contrast but it didn't make a noticeable difference.  I added a vignette, which helped anchor the picture, and also brought out the bright patch behind.  I then adjusted the hue to slightly more green and saturated the colour a bit more.

Final processing in Elements

Artificial lighting

Originals taken in Reykjavik on 31 December 2013:

My artificial lighting photographs were taken of Reykjavik Cathedral.  This pair have many faults (blurring, not straight, composition), but I like the dynamic range, and I like the impression of aliens walking into a space craft.

JPEG

RAW
Starting with the JPEG processing, cropped and added contrast.  Otherwise, there was not much I could do with this.  I couldn't straighten the tower as that put the flat base at the bottom on an angle (it was freezing when I took this, and I was crouched hand held waiting for cars/people to move, shivering!).

JPEG processed.

For the RAW file, I performed the same as above, plus I recovered highlights and so reduced the burnt patch, and also increased colour.  I also changed the Picture Control to "vivid".  I think though in this case, the JPEG actually looks better without the colour changes.

RAW processed

I then opened in Elements to see if there was any fun to be had!  I tried LOMO followed by Orton effect to give this surreal looking image.  I quite like the b&w version also -surreal looking!


Elements processed 1

Elements processed 2


 High Dynamic Range

 Originals taken in Highgate Cemetary on 9 February 2014:

JPEG
RAW
Another scene from Highgate Cemetary.  This one doesn't have a lot going for it.  The composition is wrong, there is a sunglare green hexagon, and the dark patches are too dark.  The only bit I like is the comical subject matter and the starburst sun effect (from narrow aperture).

What I could do with the JPEG was very limited.  I cropped to square to try to improve the composition, increased brightness to rescue the dark, but made the bright brighter, which has a kind of ethereal effect, and that is essentially it!  You can see that the right side of the curve is now really bright.
JPEG processed



With the raw file, I cropped to square again, applied some shadow protection, which brought back some of the dark, recovered lost highlights to the max, changed the white balance to "cloudy" which had a warming effect, boosted colour and contrast and sharpened very slightly.  I also "unstraightened" the image to add a bit of drama. 


RAW processed

I then converted to JPEG and opened in Elements for playtime.  Unfortunately, I couldn't work out how to get rid of the glare, but I know the polyagonal lasso tool would have done were I more proficient.   Weird photo....

Elements processed



No comments:

Post a Comment