Friday 20 December 2013

LIP 25th Annual Exhibition

I went to the LIP 25th Annual Exhibition in October.  This was the first time I had seen any LIP work and I found it very interesting.  So interesting that I joined!  When you see a body of work such as this, it's amazing to see how creative people are, how many themes people think of, and the endless possibilities and infinite decisions that are made in photography.

At the door, I met Paul Bate, so I had a look at his image called Lost first of all.  I have commented often in my scrapbook on negative space/ethereal landscapes, and particularly enjoyed looking at this one.  The tree looks almost suspended, it is so delicate.

Walking round, I saw Gill Golding's image, Regeneration of the Regents Canal at Kings Cross.  I don't know what this scene looked like before regeneration, so I can't comment on the difference, but I think this photograph shows regeneration in a good light!  The lighting and reflection is lovely: clear and lucid, and the presence of people in the image convey a sense of enjoyment of the results of the project.

The third image I want to comment on is Sarah Peter's Photoautomat. I remember a series of three photographs on this theme in the exhibition.  Fortunately, I managed to find her website, and found there is in fact a whole sequence on this project.  I find this work comical and also revealing.  Peters demonstrates the assumptions we make about people, when we don't know the full details.  Normally, a photobooth is about the face - either a serious passport photo or people having fun in the booth.  In this case, all we see are the feet, from which we try to piece together the rest of the jigsaw.  In reality people do this all the time, probably more than they realise.

No comments:

Post a Comment