Friday 27 December 2013

Wildlife Photographer of the Year 2013

The Wildlife Photographer of the Year competition at the Natural History Museum is my exhibition highlight of the year!  There is no point in discussing the individual artistic merits of my favourite photos - they are all incredible, all stunning and all worth a mention.  It would be impossible to pick out clear favourites!  I loved all the lions, tigers, fish, dugongs, monkeys, turtles - all spectacular.

What is perhaps worthwhile is to mention the photographers that I can relate to in terms of my own journey towards finding a personal voice, a unique style.  This exhibition or standard of photography is to me perhaps the most inspiring and also the most out of reach.  I can't imagine ever getting to this standard, and being able to create such beauty.  I previously referred to Jasper Doest in my blog - in terms of my analysis of personal voice.  He has captured a sense of vulnerability and tranquility that I certainly aspire to and am drawn to. 

Aside the stunning animal shots, the wildscapes really stood out for me this year.  The Cauldron by Sergey Gorshkov is a scene I would love to create: simple composition, minimal colours but strong colours nevertheless, action, drama - in fact the opposite of the long exposure minimalist scenes I also like - but strong and gritty instead. To see a volcano eruption in real life must be incredible and terrifying at the same time.  The lava seems to be flowing outside the picture so you wonder where the photographer was at the time.....

The other wildscape entries I particularly liked were the two taken in Iceland (because I'm going there in January!) - by Ellen Anon - Ice Aurora and The Pull of the Sea.  Both were taken in Jökulsárlón, which I've heard is over-photographed, so it's good to see an original perspective, and also again, for me, few but dramatic colours, long exposures and a sense of isolation.

Finally, thinking about personal voice and having something to say, I was really affected by the Wildlife Photojournalist Award to Brent Stirton for his portfolio God's Ivory telling just one of many horrific stories of animal slaughter for human indulgence.  I found these images disturbing both at the exhibition and now looking at them again online.  They tell the story of elephants being slaughtered for their ivory - the final part of the story and possibly the most disturbing image of the portfolio showing a devout collector sitting amongst his pieces.  The irony or incongruousness / juxtaposition of religion and what is essentially murder is shocking.  I wish I knew how to get started on a journey to highlight something as awful as this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment