Friday 20 December 2013

Travel Photographer of The Year 2012

I stopped by this exhibition during August 2013.  Of course the pictures were stunning and travel photography is always very interesting, but I find this exhibition hard to look at.  The display isn't great.  When you compare to Wildlife Photographer of The Year (which is always over crowded) - the pictures aren't lit so well, nor do they draw you in and round.  I also think there was too much wildlife in this collection - I understand travel photography to be about people, culture, lifestyles, traditions.

But, I still enjoyed looking at it.  The pictures I enjoyed the most were in the Water section:

In this image, I'm drawn to the almost monochrome colour scheme, the texture of the iceberg and the single point composition.  I also like the silk water and sky - likely he used a ND filter.  This image is as much about space as it is about the object.  Mastering negative space landscapes is one of my objectives this year as I progress through Digital Photographic Practice.

(c) Joshua Holko
Similar to the image above; limited colour scheme, silky water and also in this case some strong silhouttes.  Interestingly, the horizon is slap bang in the middle of the image, but clearly that doesn't matter as much as people (particularly camera club judges!) say it does.  In this case, it would have been a mistake to have cropped the dark sky or the beach; however the symmetry is broken up by the detail in the lower half of the image.  Again this is as much about space, as it is about the subject of the image.

(c) Kimberley Coole
This is a stunning shot and I can't image where the photographer was at the time; likely waist deep unless shooting from a distance with a super zoom... instant wow fact, smacks of energy and drama, again limited colours with a silhoutte, and like the picture above, showing a person in what must be an extremely uncomfortable situation.

(c) Timothy Allen

No comments:

Post a Comment